Friday, March 1, 2013

We are finished with Month 1

Month 1 is over... we are no longer confined to spending our money in 7 areas.

Now it is time to reflect... what have we walked away with?  Are we using our resources more wisely?  Are we going to change the way we spend money?

Before answering those questions, I would like to share something I learned this month while visiting a very wise friend.  She asked me why we were fasting from "spending"... that it sounded so negative.  She told me that we all sow seeds (our money) in hopes for a fruitful harvest.  We should be focusing more of our attention on what we are sowing into and where we are sowing rather then on what we are "spending" on.  I love looking from this perspective.  When I go to purchase something, I have started to ask myself if this is something I want to "invest" in... what kind of harvest will it reap?  Just think about that for a few minutes.  Where do you spend/invest?  What kind of establishments are you spending/investing in?  With an understanding that the answer to these questions will always reap something (either good or bad), it just might make you stop and think.

I have to share with you a funny story!  I went to Target for the 1st time in a month.  Yes, Target and Wal-Mart were on our approved list but for emergencies only.  Not once did I step foot in either place for the entire month... it was actually great!  :)  However, today I wanted to stop into Target because I needed (um, okay, wanted) a new pair of yoga capris and they have them on sale.  So, Milana and I went this morning on a quest for yoga pants, kleenex, and a small wooden airplane that you put together and fly (you know, like the ones you get at the dollar store).  That was all that was on my list... and that is all I planned on getting.  I go to check out the pants and they turned out to not be what I was looking for but as I am leaving the women's department I see an awesome St. Patrick's Day t-shirt with Minnie Mouse all decked out in green sparkles.  I knew the girls would LOVE it if I wore this so I tried it on and decided to buy it... it was only $12.00 for Pete's sake.  And then I saw white turtle necks (great for Marbella to wear under her uniform in the winter) on sale for only $2.10 each.  I bought two for her to wear next winter.  Milana and I checked out and as we walked to the front doors of the store we had to pass by the customer service desk.  Yep, I felt it - that conviction that I was making unnecessary purchases... wasting resources.  So, I pulled my cart up to the customer service desk and returned the Minnie shirt as well as one of the turtle necks.  Yes, it only came to a $15.00 savings but it is now $15.00 that I can use to buy food for one of the Chin refugee families...or diapers for the 15 year old who made a bad decision and is now about to have twins... or underwear for the homeless... or many other things that could actually help someone.

We got home sans the airplane but only because we couldn't find one.  You know the ones I am talking about - free from Southwest that are wooden and you break the pieces off to put it together - cheap but very entertaining for kids.  And easily broken after about 25 flights into the wall.  Marbella comes home from school and says "Mommy, lets save our resources and just make one out of paper."  Even if that was the only thing that resulted from this month (which we know that is far from reality), it would have been worth it. My little ones are getting it.  They realized today that they went a whole month without a french fry... without a McDonalds hamburger... without eating at any restaurant.  They understand that we are using our resources differently now.  That going out to dinner will be a one time a week treat - not an expectation.  When Marbella asked if we could go see Taylor Swift (what????) if she ever came to town, I told her probably not because the tickets are too expensive.  She responded in agreement that we need to use our resources better... WHAT?  Thank you Lord for allowing my little girls to grow so much in this journey too... what a blessing!

However, Month 2 is Possessions - not hard for me but will prove to be very challenging for sweet Marbella.  When I asked for her to pick one think out today to give away it wasn't a great experience.  She understands why we are using our resources differently but the stuff we already in hand shouldn't be touched in her mind.  This month should prove to be very interesting.

I will post more about what we are doing this month in the next couple days.
Thanks for your encouragement this past month... looking forward to the next one!!!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like "7" is off to a great start! I love that even the girls are picking up on the idea of spending less so that your resources can be reallocated to further God's kingdom and bring him glory. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete