Thursday, January 24, 2013

Gearing Up for 7

Oh my goodness... 7 more days before we start!  

Like I said in an earlier post, we are changing things up a bit in how our family moves forward with this process.  For us, we are treating this time as a sort of "fast"... I will go into more detail about fasting and what that means to us in another post.  For now, I would like to share the basic details of the next 7 months. We have prayed over how we would like to proceed as well as discussed it in depth.  Here is what we have come up with...


February - Spending

March - Possessions
April - Waste
May - Food
June - Clothing 
July - Media 
August - Stress

No matter what order we (or you) decide on doing it, I can imagine that each and every month will prove to be challenging, enlightening, and rewarding... and probably in that order.  At the same time, I thought you might want to know why we laid out the months the way we did (with the Lord's approval, of course!)  


We start off in February with spending.  If we can get more disciplined with our spending, then that will allow us more freedom to give (possessions) and really prepare us for the following 6 months.  It sets the stage. The hardest part for me will be not eating out... or picking up that pizza after church on our way home.  Oh Lord! I will share with you the 7 places we can spend our money in another post... and none of those places include Jason's Deli, Domino's Pizza, or even Chick-fil-A for that matter.  I say it again, Oh Lord!


Then we move into March with possessions.  I don't know about you, but we have found that we live in a bubble.  There is need all around us but we can't seem to find it.  As a result of reading 7, I got a little more proactive in my search.  More about that in March!  We wanted to make sure this was toward the beginning of the process too.  It is a month where others will benefit from our discipline... and in all honesty, Jesus calls us to be His hands and feet and serving others in need is doing just that.  This just may end up being my favorite month; however,  I do believe it will prove to be a little more challenging for my 6 year old who wants to keep EVERYTHING!!!


April is about eliminating waste and embracing our 'green' side.  What a perfect time to start planting our gardens.  We already have 2 small garden spots prepared but we just might have to build another... and I have a feeling this year we will be much more methodical in what we plant and where.  And yes, I will tend to it much better.  I have always been a bit green anyway so this month will be challenging in that we will need to step it up a notch.  


May... oh sweet May.  Food... oh glorious food!  We will not be picking 7 foods but rather a combination of 7 foods/categories.  As of right now, our eating for May will consist of Fruits (not just apples, but any fruit), Veggies (not just one veggie, but all veggies are fair game), eggs, chicken, wheat bread (Andy has been practicing making it home made in our bread maker), nuts (mostly raw almonds), and protein drinks/bar (our post exercise supplement!)  Now, God may instruct us to change some of those choices by May but at this point, that is what we are going with.  For those of you who know me well, you know that this month will bring me to my knees in prayer more then even spending.  Besides the fact that I will become more intimate with my Savior during this process, May will bring with it lots of yummy produce... and for that I am thankful!


June will be clothing.  I am actually looking forward to picking out 7 pieces of clothing to wear in June.  Of course, it is easy for me to say that now.  I am grateful that I did not feel led to put clothing in a month that has cool mornings and warm afternoons.  It will simply be hot no matter what time of day it is.  I hope I don't smell too much during this month - I really want to get through this time without explaining myself... to live with 7 pieces of clothing without justifying it to anyone.  Living with less in a true sense... however, if I start to smell then I just might find myself explaining without even realizing my mouth is moving!


July will be media. The kids will be home from school... this will either be a perfect time to cut off from all media or it will be the worst idea ever since that means the kids won't get any tv/movies either.  This has historically been a perfect month to hit the dollar theater just to escape the heat.  Or it is a perfect time for God to work in all of us and really share a quality month together.  I guess we will see in July!  :)  I do have one exception - we will get to listen to Christian music.  When I put on praise music, our home is different - in a way that I believe God is glorified... and that is always okay!  


And we will complete the 7 month fast with Stress in August.  As the summer winds down and preparations for school starting pick up, it will be a perfect month to focus on our amazing Savior.  I have high hopes for this month... again, I will keep you posted!


That gives you the basics.  I am excited about starting... but also enjoying what I would consider freedom.  I am confident that I don't really know what that word means but will get a much better grasp of it through this process.  I know in my head that freedom actually comes from disciplines rooted in God... but soon I will know it in my heart too... and that is exciting!


    

No comments:

Post a Comment