Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Month 1 - Spending

I feel like the month leading up to my last day on the job several years ago.  I stock piled Mac make-up because I just knew I would never be able to afford good make up again.  I bought extra hair spray, mousse, shampoo.  I bought the shoes I wanted... the work out clothes I needed.  It was crazy!  This time however, my kids are involved. About 2 weeks ago, we were on our way home from church when Marbella said "can we go out to dinner since we won't get to eat out for the entire month of February!"  Andy and I laughed but could also understand her want to squeeze it all in before we started our February fast.

Thankfully we have avoided most of that same behavior... except when it has come to dining out.  I started to put a menu plan together this week but quickly decided that was a silly idea.  We are taking full advantage of squeezing in our last restaurant prepared meals... Chili's Monday night (kids eat free), Domino's tonight (just because), Cafe Italia (taking advantage of a Groupon that is about to expire) tomorrow night.  Lunch at Jason's Deli today... out somewhere/anywhere for lunch tomorrow.  Yes, it is pathetic but I think it is doing a good job of preparing us for the month... I am actually getting tired of restaurant food!  We have also taken care of a few other items before our spending halt starts on Friday - haircuts, inspections, gardening stuff (in preparation for our month on Waste) as well as a few others. But for the most part we are just going about our days as usual... and are both looking forward to what God will be revealing to us over the next 7 months.

Oh, I guess you might be interested in what 7 establishments will get the Green's money this month!

  1. Gas Station - I am not specifying a specific gas station - that would be silly!
  2. Kroger
  3. Sprouts/Farmers Market - serves the same purpose so I bunched them together.  If I can purchase locally, that is what I would rather do but since we don't have a Farmers Market that is open 7 days a week right down the road, I needed to include Sprouts.
  4. On line bill pay - our monthly fixed bills - mortgage, electricity, water, girls school, etc.
  5. Exercise - not my favorite way to spend our money but a necessity!
  6. Isabelle - our housekeeper.  Yes, this is an expense that I could give up... however, she depends on what we pay her and we care about her - she is part of our family.  We won't give her up - not because we love her services - but because we love her!
  7. Wal-Mart - Emergency expenses only!  This is not on here so that we can still shop for wants... that would defeat the purpose.  The ONLY reason this is on here is for unexpected expenses - a birthday party invitation ... we need a gift for the birthday kid. Marbella gets a project assignment at school and we need supplies to do it, etc.  Plus, a few grocery items that are significantly cheaper at Wal-Mart - i.e. the organic soups we like are 1/2 the price of Kroger.  
As you can see, there are NO restaurants... no Home Depot... no Amazon... no Buckle (that is for me!)... no movies, etc.  However, there is one thing that doesn't count - tithing... or any type of additional giving.  The purpose of this process is to draw us closer to God by taking in less... that doesn't mean we can't give more.  And if we think about it, isn't that what Jesus wants us to do.  That is why He is quoted by Paul in Acts 20:35 "...It is more blessed to give than to receive."

One more full day then we are ready to roll!  
Karin


No comments:

Post a Comment