Sunday, January 6, 2013

What is this Book You are Talking About?

I want to tell you that I am laughing as I write this. I didn't expect so many different responses to what Andy and I feel led to do... participate in a modified version of a little book called 7. Let me say that again - MODIFIED! :) One of my dear friends bought me the book many, many months ago - I either just found time to start reading it or in my subconsciousness I knew it would call me to a change :)) Upon hearing of our 7 journey she sent me this text - "I would be honored to be on your council if it entails keeping your butt in line, but I am not going to do any of that crazy stuff right now." In fact, ever since I wrote in the blog that we were planning to participate in this "social/spiritual experiment", some of my closest friends are reacting the same way I would have reacted if they had brought this idea up to me - either avoiding me all together or letting me know up front that they have bought the book but will not be doing it with me - love you and your precious honesty girls! :)). I have had to share with them that Jen's friends participated in their own way too - if at all. Some had their own modifications and some didn't participate in certain months at all but were there for Jen to encourage her and give her moral support... and that works wonders too! 

So, a little more about the actual book... 7 - an experimental mutiny against excess, by Jen Hatmaker! I promise you - it is not scary... it will not make you feel crazy guilty... it will not ask too much of you! 7 is a fantastic book that is informative... thought provoking... challenging...funny. It provides you with practical ways to be more like Christ... be His hands and feet. 

In Matthew 25:42-45, Jesus says 'For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison, and did visit me. Then they will also answer, saying 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to you?' Then he will answer them, saying 'Truly, I say to you, as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.' 

The book not only makes you more aware of how you are spending your time, your money, your resources but offers ideas based on Jen's own experiences regarding how to serve Him by serving others; how to serve God's creation and so very much more. 

Amazon provides this description of the book.. 

 "American life can be excessive, to say the least. That’s what Jen Hatmaker had to admit after taking in hurricane victims who commented on the extravagance of her family’s upper middle class home. She once considered herself unmotivated by the lure of prosperity, but upon being called “rich” by an undeniably poor child, evidence to the contrary mounted, and a social experiment turned spiritual was born. 
7 is the true story of how Jen (along with her husband and her children to varying degrees) took seven months, identified seven areas of excess, and made seven simple choices to fight back against the modern-day diseases of greed, materialism, and overindulgence.
Food. Clothes. Spending. Media. Possessions. Waste. Stress. They would spend thirty days on each topic, boiling it down to the number seven. Only eat seven foods, wear seven articles of clothing, and spend money in seven places. Eliminate use of seven media types, give away seven things each day for one month, adopt seven green habits, and observe “seven sacred pauses.” So, what’s the payoff from living a deeply reduced life? It’s the discovery of a greatly increased God—a call toward Christ-like simplicity and generosity that transcends social experiment to become a radically better existence." 

I don't know about you, but the sound of "living a radically better existence" sounds very appealing. 

One thing I will say is that you will not get the full benefits of what Jen shares in her book just by following this blog. My intent is not to summarize the book (so if you don't read it yourself you will miss so many facts and amazing stories that actually puts a face with her experiences) but rather to simply share our experience "fasting" and how God speaks to us through that experience. Believe me when I tell you it is NOT to impress you like the Pharisees (fasting only to impress others) but rather to grow closer to my Savior - I am actually expecting to fall on my face in humility and will know that any success I have in this "experiment" will be because of Him. Bottom line, why am I sharing this experience with you? In all honesty - because He has told me that as much as I currently don't love to write, I am supposed to do it. Through our adoption experience, I learned many things but one that really sticks is this - when He asks you do to something and you continue to spend daily quiet time with Him, He won't let up. I wonder if that is one of the reasons we don't stop and spend time with Him daily - we don't want to hear what He is asking us to do. I am sure that is often the case when I find myself putting Him aside. He also knows that I am not afraid to share my struggles and be transparent about my short comings - and maybe that is why He is asking me to share this experience. Like the days following when I have to give up chocolate... believe me when I tell you that giving up sweets will draw me to my knees asking for strength faster than anything else. If I am victorious during the food month and truly abstain from chocolate, it will be by the grace of God. No joke... those of you who know me well, know that chocolate is a food group for me! :) 

So, there is your synopsis of 7 - an experimental mutiny against excess. We are still reading... still praying... still wondering what we have committed to... still excited about how the "fasting" will draw us closer to our Creator. I mean, that is really the bottom line. 

As stated in the NKJV Life Application study notes in Mark 2:18 "Fasting is both an outward sign of humility and regret for sin, and an inner discipline that clears the mind and keeps the spirit alert. Fasting empties the body of food (or whatever); repentance empties the life of sin." 

I am not going to lie to you - I am so excited about some of the upcoming months (clothes, possessions, waste) and am totally dreading others (food, food, food, spending, and food!) But God has an amazing sense of humor - If I know Him well, He will bring me to my knees on the stuff I think I will do well with (hello pride) and bless me for being humble on the months I think I will struggle. Time will tell!!!

I do hope you will participate in your own way... allowing God to show you that with Him in your corner, you are much stronger than you think. During our adoption process, we heard over and over how "strong we were by being obedient." But I can tell you right now - Andy and I were not strong. We were very weak on our own. God was strong through the process - all we did was allow Him to lead... that was it. He did everything else! Maybe that is what I am so excited about this experiment - that it will provide a way for me to be totally dependent on Him again - in ways that will transcend way beyond the 7 months. We have no problem riding this roller coaster by ourselves (with God not only in control of the coaster but also sitting in the front seat with us) but it sure will be a whole lot more fun doing it with you! 

Gotta run - I have a few more chapters to read! 

Karin 

P.S. I have a prayer request - that if God really wants me to keep writing, that He will make the process much faster!!! :) Andy has walked into this room twice asking me if I was on the same blog post or if I had already drafted a few others... not funny Andrew!

No comments:

Post a Comment